Curriculum Alignment - Language Arts
Seattle Public Schools’ Strategic Plan, Excellence for All, commits the District to ensuring high expectations and a high quality school for every student. As part of a system-wide effort to increase the number of Seattle Public School students that graduate from high school prepared for college and the 21st century work force, Seattle Public High Schools (SPS) has committed to a curriculum alignment in core academic subjects across all Schools. Durin g the school year 2010-2011 all 9th and 10th grade Language Arts coures will implement the new college and career readiness standards and instructional materials that support them.
Language Arts courses have been realigned to the following :
- Essential content knowledge and skills necessary to being successful in the next course in the sequence and/or college and work. the following resources were used to identify the essential standards for High School students.
- College Board Standards for College Success
- Common Core Standards
Textual materials and supporting instructional documents selected and/or designed by Seattle Public Schools.The High School Language Arts Adoption Committee worked in collaboration with building teachers to develop a list of titles to that were approved by the SPS board February 2010. Book lists for each grade level will provide flexibility to teachers, but still makes it possible for the District to offer curricular support in teaching to the college and career ready standards, using the texts as a tool to meet the standards. The texts on the managed choice lists have been carefully selected to meet the Language Arts Adoption Criteria set forth by the adoption committee. See below for list of approved instructional materials list.
- Language Arts 9-12 Course Descriptons
- Essential Reading Standards for Language Arts 9-12
- Essential Oral Language Essential Standards LA 9-12
- Essential Writing Standards LA 9-12
- Approves Instructional Materials for LA 9-11